Determinant of Large Matrix

Hendrik van Rooyen mail at microcorp.co.za
Fri Jun 8 02:18:37 EDT 2007

 "James Stroud" <j,,,, at mbi....a.edu> wrote:

> James Stroud wrote:
> [pointless stuff]
>
> OK. Nevermind. I'm rebinding encodings and so taking a sample from the
> sample and thus getting the sample back. Terribly sorry.

There is truly nothing to be sorry about.
It takes guts to come right out and say that you made a mistake.
Well done!

<start rant>
One of my pet peeves are people who pretend that they never make mistakes.
Strangely enough, when you ask them to walk on water, they never quite
manage it.

This sort of thing should be cause for rejoicing, - when you think about it,
its a proof that the body of knowledge that has to do with sampling is
solid and reliable, independently of the experimenter - these days that is
quite a comforting thought.

The sanitised stuff you read in the scientific journals does not represent
the true course of the progress of science - in reality, progress is the
incidental by-product of a progressive series of blunders.  But nobody
involved will acknowledge this, for fear of their precious reputations...

<end rant>

- Hendrik