ORM layer

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Sat Jun 30 04:16:47 EDT 2007

David <lists at edeca.net> writes:

> I am looking for an ORM for Python that fulfills a few simple needs.
>
> - ability to support a number of backends (probably mysql and sqlite
> at present, csv a bonus)
> - ability to be used easily from console python scripts, a bonus if I
> can add a simple web GUI later using some framework
> - decent documentation a definite plus

I second the recommendation for SQLAlchemy. I've not used Elixir, but
that's a way to abstract SQLAlchemy further, if you want to work at an
even higher level of abstraction.

The documentation for SQLAlchemy is very good, in my experience. The
library allows one to work entirely with the object system (using it
as an ORM), or dynamically build SQL statements, or combine the two
methods.

--
 \     "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."  -- |
  `\                              Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943 |