Want to learn Python

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sat Jun 16 12:04:59 EDT 2007

In article <1hzrppt.1i3pamvoxog4rN%aleax at mac.com>,
Alex Martelli <aleax at mac.com> wrote:
>7stud <bbxx789_05ss at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> The reference book "Python in a Nutshell" is excellent, however its
>> index is so bad I hesitate to recommend it.  A reference book should
>> have a thorough index--you shouldn't have to hunt through the chapters
>> trying to find the particular topic you are interested in.
>
>Try <http://books.google.com/advanced_book_search> -- it will easily
>generate for you queries on books.google.com such as, e.g.:
>    generator inauthor:"alex martelli"
>to find 3 mentions of "generator" in the Nutshell and Cookbook.  Not
>quite a replacement for a good index, of course (you're welcome to write
>O'Reilly spewing hate on how much you loathe that index - maybe that
>will help convince them to put more time and effort into indexing on
>their future projects, or offer some way for book authors to add
>indexing indications as they write their books), but it still seems
>potentially helpful.

We didn't wait for Wiley to offer, we simply insisted on providing a
list of index terms.  That's why _Python for Dummies_ includes "genexp"
in addition to "generator", and also why we have separate entries for
"{} dict literal", "braces ({}) dict literal", and "curly braces ({})
dict literal".  ;-)