Collections of non-arbitrary objects ?

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch bj_666 at gmx.net
Mon Jun 25 16:05:27 EDT 2007

In <46801791$0$32172$426a34cc at news.free.fr>, Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:

> walterbyrd a écrit :
>> For example, I don't think you can divide a string by another string.
>
> No, because this operation is not implemented for strings - IOW, strings
> doesn't understand this message. What would be the meaning of dividing
> strings anyway ? (while concatening string is a well-known operation).

As someone else already mentioned dividing strings is splitting.  The Pike
language does this:

  http://pike.ida.liu.se/generated/manual/ref/chapter_4.html

Scroll down to ``string / string``.  The definition of ``string / float``
is neat too.  Something I really miss in everyday programming in Python,
not.  ;-)

Ciao,
	Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch