PEP 3107 and stronger typing (note: probably a newbie question)

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at wtf.websiteburo.oops.com
Thu Jun 21 02:59:01 EDT 2007

Stephen R Laniel a écrit :
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 12:59:28PM -0700, bruno.desthuilliers at gmail.com wrote:
>> Then you should use another language.
>
> This is what I meant about knowing how Internet discussions
> go.

Please let not forget the context.

You said:
"I'm new to Python",

and then :
"if I *want* strong static type-checking, why shouldn't I be able to get
it?"

You obviously don't know Python enough to understand why static
typechecking doesn't belong to Python. Trying to explain would be a
waste of time, because you have to experiment it in real-life situation
to fully understand.

So to put things briefly, Python with static typechecking would not be
Python anymore - it would be another language. Which implies that if you
want static typechecking, you'll have to use another language one way or
another.