Repository - file scanner

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 11:30:49 EDT 2007

On Jun 8, 2:33 pm, HMS Surprise <j... at datavoiceint.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Could someone point my muddled head at a/the python repository. I know
> that one exists but cannot find it again. In particular I am looking
> for a standalone search tool that given a path searches files for a
> text string.
>
> Thanks,
>
> jvh

Are you looking for

A.) a Python script to search for file names that match a given text
string?
B.) a script to search for a given text string within a text file?
C.) a Python repository, as in the SVN/CVS area?

Here's a couple scripts for finding files given a path:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/52224
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/189973

And here's an interesting article on creating a Python "Find" utility:
http://www.python.org/search/hypermail/python-1994q2/0116.html

This link has a chapter from "Learning Python" by O'Reilly that talks
about looking for words within files:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lpython/chapter/ch09.html

The "repository" is here: http://svn.python.org/

Enjoy!