Python editors again (it's not the same old request)

Chris Mellon arkanes at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 10:43:21 EDT 2007

On 6/10/07, Eric S. Johansson <esj at harvee.org> wrote:
> I upgraded to version 9.5 and all of my tools which enabled me to program by
> voice in Emacs are broken.  it's one of those dagnabbit a moment's of life.
>
> What I am looking for is a Windows based Python Smart editor that uses specific
> rich text edit controls as specified here:
>
> http://knowledgebase.nuance.com/view.asp?tnID=5104&sQuery=4247
>
> Quoting from the article:
> """
> A window is considered standard if its window class name is one of the following:
>
> Edit
>
> RichEdit
>
> RichEdit20A
>
> RichEdit20W
>
> RichEdit50W
>
> If the name is not one of those, then an edit control is still considered
> standard if its window class name and window styles are similar to those of
> standard edit controls.
>
> """
>
> There is some other stuff in there about other classes that may be able to work
> in so far, they haven't yield anything useful to me.  Doesn't mean I won't keep
> trying but it's more than a tad frustrating trying to root out some of these
> magic numbers.  Any help would be most appreciated.  Actually, it would be
> really nice if wxwindows  and gtk used the standard classes underneath so
> accessibility would be there semiautomatically on Windows but that's a different
> conversation.

wx does (in large part), but most likely the problem is that the "rich
text" control used in most editors is not the win32 rich text control,
but instead Scintilla, which is designed for source editing and is
much easier to use. Very few editors, of any kind, use the native
win32 text control for source highlighting.

wx does have (some)  support for the accessibility features in win32,
you might post a feature request on the wx bug tracker to add them to
the wx platform bindings for Scintilla.

The main reason editors don't use the standard control is for syntax
highlighting and perhaps folding and margins, though, which I'm not
sure are especially valuable to you. What kind of features makes a
Python editor 'smart' for someone who's coding with a screen reader?