Python IDE

Evan Klitzke evan at yelp.com
Wed Jun 20 04:00:18 EDT 2007

On 6/19/07, Evan Klitzke <evan at yelp.com> wrote:
> On 6/19/07, Bjoern Schliessmann
> <usenet-mail-0306.20.chr0n0ss at spamgourmet.com> wrote:
> > BartlebyScrivener wrote:
> > > VIM
> >
> > *clap-clap*
> >
> > BTW, are there tutorials on the more arcane vim functions that come
> > in handy with Python?
>
> I don't know of any vim functions that are python specific, but to me
> the two somewhat arcane things that are really important to using vim
> efficiently in programming in general are window splitting and
> folding.  Folding can be immensely useful for moving through files and
> keeping important information visible.  Ctags is also useful -- it
> lets you jump to where the class/function under the cursor is defined.
> Window tabbing is also new as of vim 7, but I prefer window splits.
> You'll probably want to write some vim macros to help you use the
> window splits more efficiently (e.g. to to move up a split and
> maximize it in one key stroke).
>
> There's a script on vim.org for using the unittest module with the
> :make command, which is also useful if you use that module a lot. And
> of course if you build vim with python support, you can script vim
> using python!
>
> Another thing I've noticed is that there are a couple of different
> work flows that people have for testing code they're writing in vim.
> The simplest way to run a script is with ":!python %" (sans quotes),
> which runs the script with the output going to vim which pretends to
> be a terminal.  I think this is sort of suboptimal because vim isn't a
> real terminal so some programs will act strangely this way. The
> workflow I have is a screen session with vim in one (or more)
> "windows" and another "window" that is just a shell, which I run my
> scripts in. Another method that I've seen is to just background vim
> with Ctrl-Z, run the program, and then foreground the vim session to
> screen is really, really useful because you can do a search through
> the screen buffer for occurrences of certain words (I tend to do a
> backwards search, with Ctrl-a [ ?search_term), which can help you
> search through the output of your program quickly when things go awry.
> IF you're a fan of screen (or want to use it), I have a pretty nifty
> .screenrc that I use that shows the screen "windows" on a status line
> at the bottom with some other nifty information (the hostname of the
> machine screen is running on, the load information, and the time) as
> well, plus support for 256 colors, which lets you use those nice 256
> color vim colorschemes. If you're interested you can grab it at
> http://eklitzke.org/files/.screenrc

Oh, one more that I forgot is Bicycle Repair Man. I haven't used it a
lot, but it looks really interesting -- it's a tool designed to
facilitate refactoring Python code. You can use it with vi or emacs.
For those that are interested, you can read more about it at
http://bicyclerepair.sourceforge.net/

--
Evan Klitzke <evan at yelp.com>