Basic Auth for simple web server

Michele Simionato michele.simionato at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 11:17:42 EDT 2007

On Jun 5, 4:28 pm, Marco Aloisio <m... at valis-e.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm a Python newbie;
> I have to write a simple webserver, and I need to
> implement a basic authentication as specified in the RFC2617.
> I wonder if there is a Python library for doing that.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Marco Aloisio

Have a look at paste (http://pythonpaste.org/).

For instance, to enable authentication for user foo, you can do the
following

    from paste.auth.basic import AuthBasicHandler

    def only_for_foo(env, user, passwd):
        return user == 'foo' and passwd = 'bar'

    auth_app = AuthBasicHandler(
        myapp, 'app realm', only_for_foo)

(where myapp is your WSGI application, of course).

                 Michele Simionato