[pyserial - winXP] Serial port stop receiving data after a few hours, raise no error

Hendrik van Rooyen mail at microcorp.co.za
Thu Jun 7 01:56:37 EDT 2007

 <pauland80 at gmail.com> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>My soft passively listen to a device sending +- 300 bytes of data each
>second. After several hours of work, the soft abruptly stops receiving
>data without any error, (while the device sends properly, of course)
>and I need to restart it (the python soft) to "reactivate" the ports.
>
>I read that when the serial port encounters an error (frame error or
>so, I imagine?) it stop receiving data until the library function
>"getCommError()" is called.
>
>Am I on the good track? Can I call this function from my pyserial
>code?
>
>Why pyserial does'nt raise a serial.SerialException in this case?
>

>Notes:
>---------
>I'm not working with plain serial ports, I use serial over USB (FTDI
>or so) and serial over Ethernet (moxa.com).
>I'm in 115k 8N1 and I use 4 ports simultaneously
>I use python 2.4 with pyserial 2.2 on Windows XP.

ooooh!  - I am not sure of this, but I have heard rumours that
the USB drivers are responsible...

Its unlikely to be the Python - so far when I have had Serial
Hassles - its been either finger trouble on my part, or some
underlying thing freaking out  - four ports at 115200
means a char potentially every 21 microsecs - not quite trivial.

- Hendrik