PEP 3107 and stronger typing (note: probably a newbie question)

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Wed Jun 27 10:11:32 EDT 2007

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 04:03:39PM +0200, Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
> Stephen, you may not know yet, but Python is *dynamic*. This defeats
> almost all compile-time checking. Of what help would type inference be
> when you can dynamically add/remove/replace attributes (including
> methods and class) at runtime ?

Heh. [Insert grimacing smile here]

People on here have been ... ahhh ... *generous* about
explaining that Python is dynamic, and hence that static
typing doesn't make sense. I've got it. I merely passed
along that MJD reference because you were making a point
about what static typing is for in general (i.e., not
specific to Python). I thought I'd give examples of how
languages other than Python use it to good effect, and not
just for compiler optimization.

Cheers,
Steve

--