Python's "only one way to do it" philosophy isn't good?

Douglas Alan doug at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jun 25 01:51:38 EDT 2007

Michele Simionato <michele.simionato at gmail.com> writes:

> You should really be using pychecker (as well as Emacs autocompletion
> feature ...):

I *do* use Emacs's autocompletion, but sometimes these sorts of bugs
creep in anyway.  (E.g., sometimes I autocomplete in the wrong variable!)

> ~$ pychecker -v x.py
> Processing x...
>
> Warnings...
>
> x.py:4: Variable (longVarableName) not used
>
> [I know you will not be satisfied with this, but pychecker is really
> useful,

Okay, I'll check out PyChecker and PyLint, though I'm sure they will
annoy the hell out of me.  They're probably less annoying than
spending all day tracking down some stupid bug.

> since it catches many other errors that no amount of
> macroprogramming would evere remove].

And likewise, good macro programming can solve some problems that no
amount of linting could ever solve.