pyhon 2.5.1 build fails

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Mon Jun 4 08:22:48 EDT 2007

Robin Becker wrote:
> I am getting an error while building python-2.5.1 on a freebsd 6.1 machine as a
> normal user
>
> ./configure --prefix=/home/me/mypython --enable-unicode=ucs2
>
> seems to work fine, but make install fails whilst running
>
> Compiling
> /home/my/mypython/lib/python2.5/test/test_module.py ...
> Compiling /home/me/mypython/lib/python2.5/test/test_multibytecodec.py ...
> Sorry: UnicodeError: ("\\N escapes not supported (can't load unicodedata module)",)
> Compiling /home/me/mypython/lib/python2.5/test/test_multibytecodec_support.py ...
>
> I see there was a bug reported about this
> http://www.mail-archive.com/python-bugs-list@python.org/msg09544.html
>
> but I didn't really understand what the resolution was. I do not have any
> special PYTHONHOME or PYTHONPATH set. The install partially works and I have a
> running python without the unicodedata module. Looking in Modules I don't see
> any unicodedata.o so I guess it's not being built for some reason.
well regardless of the resolution of the so called bug, my fis is to edit
Modules/Setup.dist and uncomment line 180 beginning #unicodedata then the test
don't fail halfway through and things get built properly.

Strangely I thought that all this was supposed to be handled automatically now.
--
Robin Becker