Evolution of a pythonistas!

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 09:09:32 EDT 2007

On Jun 28, 8:02 am, "Sells, Fred" <f... at adventistcare.org> wrote:
> concur 100%.  You can breeze through the fist half of the online tutorial in
> a about 2 cups of coffee but you don't know what you don't know until you
> try to do something real.
>
> Even with 20 years of working with Python, I find goodies in the cookbook
> for each new project.
>
> Get a python aware editor.  I use Eclipse+PyDev for big jobs, but still use
> Emacs with python-mode for quickies.  Although I would never recommend Emacs
> to someone who does not already know how to use it.  IDLE is ok, for
> beginning but I find it distracting.  Eclipse can be intimidating at first,
> but if you go through the PyDev howto's, You'll learn all you need.
>
> Forget about typing stuff interactively, It is better to work in a file so
> you can see your work evolve.
>
> Finally, I have never had a project in the last 5 years that someone hasn't
> already done.  Google is your friend.  Many of the hits are misleading or
> too much code to fit what I need, but I often find a snippet that I can use.

Wow Fred! You're awesome! How did you get 20 years in of Python when
it was created in 1991? Still, I think you're right. Most of the time,
I can find what I need because it's already done. I've only been
programming for just over a year and I learn something new almost
every day. And yes, the best way to learn is by "just coding".

Mike