subexpressions

Steve Howell showell30 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 1 06:55:18 EDT 2007

--- Sergey Dorofeev <sergey at fidoman.ru> wrote:
> > What syntax would you suggest for a lambda
> enhanced to cover your use
> > case?
> > I suppose you will end up with roughly the same
> number of characters, all
> > crammed in one line -- or broken into lines at a
> random position as it
> > happens with overambitious list comprehensions.
>
> Agree, this argument is strong.

FWIW there's the possibility that even without a
subexpression syntax, some Python implementations
would detect the duplication of x*x and optimize that
for you.  It would have to know that x*x had no side
effects, which I think is a safe assumption even in a
dynamic language like Python.

I know the CPython implementation does do some types
of optimizations (peephole, etc.), but I'm not expert
enough to know whether this kind of optimization would
be detected.