The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

JackT jackt123 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 20:23:08 EDT 2007

On Jun 25, 10:01 pm, Twisted <twisted... at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2. Regarding these graphical derivatives (apparently plural) of emacs,
> has nobody considered that this means that Xah had already won before
> he'd even fired his shot?

You have no idea what Xah was talking about.
Xah knows the ONE TRUE EMACS has had GUI capability
since early 1980s.

To summarize:

Richard Stallman was the original author of the original Emacs,
but he wrote it while he was an employee of another company,
so that company owned his code.

Richard Stallman then quit the company, rewrote Emacs from
scratch, and this emacs is now sometimes called the GNU emacs.

GNU emacs (and forks of it) is the only emacs today.

GNU emacs is a continuous product from about 1980 to 2007:
Richard Stallman is still writing code for it even now.

GNU emacs will gladly use the GUI library on the system
if available. So GNU emacs will launch Windows file menus
on Windows, and will launch GTK file menu on Linux, etc.

GNU emacs will also run in a text mode window gladly.
I use it all the time when I'm connected to a remote system
via SSH.

GNU emacs starts out with an initial help screen every time you run
it.
Every time.

If you don't believe one (or more) fact, please point out which one,
and we can try to prove it.

- JackT