The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

Robert Uhl eadmund42 at NOSPAMgmail.com
Sat Jun 23 20:47:28 EDT 2007

Twisted <twisted0n3 at gmail.com> writes:

> HOW IN THE BLOODY HELL IS IT SUPPOSED TO OCCUR TO SOMEONE TO ENTER
> THEM, GIVEN THAT THEY HAVE TO DO SO TO REACH THE HELP THAT WOULD TELL
> THEM THOSE ARE THE KEYS TO REACH THE HELP?!

Because WHEN YOU START EMACS IT DISPLAYS A MESSAGE TELLING YOU HOW TO
GET TO THE TUTORIAL.  ONCE YOU'VE FOLLOWED THE TUTORIAL YOU KNOW
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW.

If you had ever actually run emacs you'd know this.

> Of course, Notepad is so easy to use it doesn't even need help,
> despite which it's readily available. In case you forgot the bog-
> standard (and therefore it IS self-evident) "F1" there's even a "Help"
> menu in plain view as soon as you open a Notepad.

Any modern emacs comes with F1 configured to start the help system too.
Wow!

> [remainder snipped, apparently describing some piece of software that
> presents you automatically with an emacs tutorial if you start emacs
> while it's running. I've seen emacs a few times in my day but never
> whatever unnamed piece of software is being referred to here...

The message about the tutorial is displayed by a piece of software
called 'emacs.'  It's the piece of software we've talking about this
entire time.  It does this every time you start it.  Every single time.
Without fail.  Of course, if you somehow missed it, you could also go to
the menu titled, helpfully, 'Help'; the first item therein is 'Emacs
tutorial'; the second is 'Emacs tutorial (choose language).'

If you had ever actually run emacs you'd know this.

Do you think that Mercedes are awful cars because their engines don't
start when you turn the key in the ignition?  Do you think homemade
burgers are disgusting because cheese doesn't melt on them?

Using SWITCHAR in MS-DOS 2.0 was a kludge on top of a kludge, back in
the days before Microsoft kludge-stacking turned the OS into a game of
Jenga played with sweating dynamite sticks.        --Steve VanDevender