simplifying algebraic expressions

frithiof.jensen@jensen.tdcadsl.dk frithiof.jensen at send.me.some.spam.jensen.tdcadsl.dk
Sat Jun 30 06:10:58 EDT 2007

"DavidM" <nospam at nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:46805dae$1 at news.orcon.net.nz...

> So if someone can point me in the direction of an algebraic expressions
> library that can simplify expression trees and weed out redundancies, that
> would be awesome.

half-joking:

Maxima http://maxima.sourceforge.net/   --- ala os.popen('maxima .... ') ... ^_^

The problem with genetic algorithm's, as I understand Stuar Kaufmann, is that
while "weeding out redundancies" the fitness space becomes more spiky and
therefore harder to search. The "optimal" solution decays into simple random
guessing in in infinite search space. So, sloppiness and waste is Good - it
helps by creating an area of the fitness space where the "creature" can "move"
i.e. adopt/evolve.