The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

Robert Uhl eadmund42 at NOSPAMgmail.com
Thu Jun 21 12:03:05 EDT 2007

Twisted <twisted0n3 at gmail.com> writes:

>> Emacs is amazingly beginner-friendly for the power and flexibility it
>> provides. [snip]
>
> That's a joke, right? I tried it a time or two. Every time it was
> rapidly apparent that doing anything non-trivial would require
> consulting a cheat sheet. The printed-out kind, since navigating to
> the help and back without already having the help displayed and open
> to the command reference was also non-trivial.

C-h i, C-x b RET is non-trivial?!?

> Four hours of wasted time later, with zero productivity to show for
> it, I deleted it. The same thing happened again, so it wasn't a bad
> day or a fluke or a one-off or the particular version, either.

If you'd spent half an hour using the tutorial (helpfully displayed
right there when you start emacs), you could have saved three and a half
hours of wasted time.  And you'd now be using an actual text editor,
which is often helpful.

The cover art on the O'Reilly tome isn't meant to anthropomorphize
sendmail itself after all; it's actually a subliminal warning that
one'd need to be bats to want to use sendmail.   --Anthony de Boer