The Concepts and Confusions of Prefix, Infix, Postfix and Fully Functional Notations

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Mon Jun 11 03:54:17 EDT 2007

Twisted schrieb:
> On Jun 11, 2:42 am, Joachim Durchholz <j... at durchholz.org> wrote:
>> It is possible to write maintainable Perl.
>
> Interesting (spoken in the tone of someone hearing about a purported
> sighting of Bigfoot, or maybe a UFO).
>
> Still, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. (And no, a
> fuzzy picture of something that might be a giant serpent-like thing in
> the loch, or equivalent, does not constitute "extraordinary
> evidence".)

There's enough Perl code around. Including some that's been reported as
maintainable and well-maintained.
I haven't looked too deeply into it, but what I have seen from e.g.
Webmin looked quite clear and straightforward to me. (Real Programmers
can write Fortran code in any language - and they can write Pascal code
in any language...)

Perl code *can* resemble line noise. I don't like the language. I think
Larry and the Perl community have been getting some priorities very
wrong over time (and other things very right as well: take a look at the
regex redesign for Perl 6, for example - it's all shades of grey, not
black-and-white).

Regards,
Jo