The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

Twisted twisted0n3 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 16:10:16 EDT 2007

On Jun 20, 8:52 am, Bjorn Borud <borud-n... at borud.no> wrote:
> I found Emacs to be user friendly, but in a different sense than the,
> IMHO faulty definition, "beginner friendly".  Emacs let me, as a user,
> do more with less effort and provides a lot less friction than many
> other developer tools I've used.  at work I use it extensively, and we
> have lots of neat extensions that really save a lot of time.

Being beginner-friendly doesn't have to be at the expense of power or
expert-user usability.

On the other hand, being actively beginner-hostile leads to nobody
adopting the tool. Then again, if you don't mind being the last
generation that'll ever use it, then I guess you're okay with that. If
it suits its existing users, the rest of us will just continue to use
something else.

I continue to suspect that there's an ulterior motive for making and
keeping certain software actively beginner-hostile; a certain macho
elitism also seen with light aircraft pilots and commented on at
www.asktog.com (exact URL escapes me; sorry).