Python 3000: Standard API for archives?

Chuck Rhode CRhode at LacusVeris.com
Mon Jun 4 10:44:41 EDT 2007

samwyse wrote this on Mon, 04 Jun 2007 12:02:03 +0000.  My reply is
below.

> I think it would be a good thing if a standardized interface
> existed, similar to PEP 247.  This would make it easier for one
> script to access multiple types of archives, such as RAR, 7-Zip,
> ISO, etc.

Gee, it would be great to be able to open an archive member for update
I/O.  This is kind of hard to do now.  If it were possible, though, it
would obscure the difference between file directories and archives,
which would be kind of neat.  Furthermore, you could navigate archives
of archives (zips of tars and other abominations).

--
.. Chuck Rhode, Sheboygan, WI, USA
.. Weather:  http://LacusVeris.com/WX