The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

Robert Uhl eadmund42 at NOSPAMgmail.com
Thu Jun 21 12:11:35 EDT 2007

Twisted <twisted0n3 at gmail.com> writes:

>> But Emacs does not have a "clunky" interface.
>
> That's for the everyday novice-to-intermediate user to decide.

Why should the ignorant decide?  Do you leave the decision of what great
art is to 3 year olds and their doting parents?  Do you leave the
decision of what great food is to the ignorant, unwashed,
McDonald's-devouring masses?  Why then do you leave the decision of
what's a useful interface to those with insufficient experience?

Emacs has a slight learning curve (so too did your Windows/Mac OS
interface conventions--you've just forgotten them), but it is easy to
use.  A Windows or Mac OS text editor may have an easier learning curve,
but it'll never be as easy to use.

I read [.doc files] with 'rm.'  All you lose is the Microsoft-specific
font selections, the macro viruses and the luser babblings.
                                      --Gary `Wolf' Barnes