File processing - is Python suitable?

ferrad acfer at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 19 08:15:17 EDT 2007

I have not used Python before, but believe it may be what I need.

I have large text files containing text, numbers, and junk.  I want to
delete large chunks process other bits, etc, much like I'd do in an
editor, but want to do it automatically.  I have a set of generic
rules that my fingers follow to process these files, which all follow
a similar template.

Question: can I translate these types of rules into programmatical
constructs that Python can use to process these files?  Can Python do
the trick?

ferrad