Python 2.5.1 broken os.stat module

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jun 4 23:51:17 EDT 2007

"Joe Salmeri" <JoeSalmeri at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D_WdnYzFdue9O_nbnZ2dnUVZ_uKknZ2d at comcast.com...
|I have tried (unsuccessfully) to get you to view things from the end user
| perspective.

But that perspective is not directly relevant to *your* topic line.  When
you make a claim that os.stat is 'broken' and bugged, you are making a
claim about the *programmer* experience -- in particular, experiencing a
discrepancy between performance and reasonable expectation based on the
manuals.  Martin and I are both concerned about that particular claim
(which now appears to be resolved in the negative).

>From the developer point of view, you, the programmer, are the user.  What
you present to your users (who may or may not be the 'end' users) is your
responsibility.

| However, there is a problem.  Windows does *not* display the date like
that.

Python developers cannot fix that.  Besides which, Python is a
cross-platform language, originally developed on *nix.

| The user is left scratching their head.
|
| I prefer not to leave my end users in that situation.

Then do not.  I am sure Martin also agrees.  But if you want to discuss
writing applications for end users, perhaps you should start a new thread
with a different subject line.  It would attract different respondents.

Terry Jan Reedy