The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

Twisted twisted0n3 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 03:40:55 EDT 2007

On Jun 25, 2:32 pm, Giorgos Keramidas <keram... at ceid.upatras.gr>
wrote:
> > So much for the "free" in "free software". If you can't actually use
> > it without paying money, whether for the software or for some book, it
> > isn't really free, is it?
>
> Please do not confuse the term 'free' in 'free software' with 'gratis'.
>
> 'Gratis', i.e. 'lacking a monetary price tag' is something *very*
> different from the meaning of 'free' in 'free software'.

Having to pay for the documentation, presumably because it's
copyrighted, doesn't strike me as much more "free as in speech" than
it is "free as in beer". Also being dependent on a particular
publisher for access to required documentation violates "free as in no
vendor lock-in", to boot. So anyone saying some "free" software is
unusable without such-and-such an O'Reilly book can go peddle the
software and the book somewhere where spammers are welcome. Being
locked in to O'Reilly being just as bad as being locked in to
Microsoft or Adobe.