SimplePrograms challenge

Steve Howell showell30 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 12 18:27:10 EDT 2007

--- Rob Wolfe <rw at smsnet.pl> wrote:

> Steven Bethard <steven.bethard at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I'd hate to steer a potential new Python developer
> > to a clumsier [...]
>
> [...]
> But as far as HTML (not XML) is concerned this is
> not very realistic solution.

I think both posted examples would be valuable on the
page, with proper disclaimers.  Feel free to post
them:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/SimplePrograms

Without having used either library, it seems the older
module is a bit more difficult to use for simple
examples, but it is more robust in the face of
real-world non-XML-compliant HTML, and it obviously
more readibly usable for folks with older Python
versions (which could even include newbies who are
squatting on somebody else's machine).  The newer
module is easier to use in some cases, but it has the
limitations of assuming some level of XML compliance
and the availability of 2.5.

Is there a third, better alternative out there
somewhere?  Also, is there a way to rewrite Rob's
program so that it seems a little more
straightforward, or was that necessary complexity even
for the problem at hand?