unknown host

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Jun 1 12:28:33 EDT 2007

abcd wrote:
> I have a linux machine (ip = 10.10.10.8), which can ping other
> machines on the same subnet...such as
>
> 10.10.10.1
> 10.10.10.2
> 10.10.10.5
> 10.10.10.6
> 10.10.10.254
>
> If I use socket.gethostbyaddr(<ip>) I get back results when ip is
> 10.10.10.1 and 10.10.10.254 but for the other IP addresses
> (10.10.10.5, .6, etc) I get back "unknown host".  In fact I get
> "unknown host" for the linux machine that I run the gethostbyaddr
> from.
>
> If perform the same operation from a windows machine (ip = 10.10.10.5)
> it returns data for the other IP addresses as expected.
>
> any ideas?

Probably the Windows hosts are resolving the addresses to names using
WINS, a NetBIOS-over-TCP compatible naming service, while the Unix hosts
are trying to use the DNS.

If you could arrange for your hosts to register on the DNS automatically
that might solve the problem.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119