GUI apps in Windows with native widgets?

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Mon Jun 18 22:38:00 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 04:13 +0200, Gilles Ganault wrote:
> Hello
>
> 	I'd like to write a GUI app in Python exclusively for Windows.
> Apparently, development of PythonWin has stopped a long time ago.
>
> Is there another thin wrapper to write apps in Windows? I'd rather not
> have to ship eg. WxWidgets, GTK+, or QT.

Well shipping wxWidgets isn't a big deal.  If you are already requiring
python be installed, then a wxWidgets dll is trivial.  Even better, if
you are using py2exe, then the wxWidgets dll and module will all be
wrapped cleanly in the exe, so I think it's a clear winner.  Users
needn't know anything about wxWidgets or have to install it.  Bundling
wxWidgets in your python app adds a couple of megabytes to the size.

Certainly you're not going to want to do native win32 GUI development,
even in python.  wxWidgets is an order of magnitude better for doing
this, methinks.