The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

Robert Uhl eadmund42 at NOSPAMgmail.com
Thu Jun 21 12:09:10 EDT 2007

Twisted <twisted0n3 at gmail.com> writes:

>> > I have that exact URL now --
>> >http://www.asktog.com/columns/027InterfacesThatKill.html
>>
>> Utterly unrelated to Emacs.
>
> I think it is quite relevant. Clunky computer interfaces may not be so
> dramatically dangerous, but they certainly can hamper productivity.

You're quite right.  Windows/Mac user interfaces are so clunky that they
massively hamper productivity.  Emacs, OTOH, enables it.  For example,
C-s is search forward; C-r is search backward ('reverse'); C-M-s is
search forward for a regular expression; C-M-r is search backward for a
regular expression.  A Windows or Mac editor would have C-s for save,
and that's it.  It might have C-f for find, but it'd pop up a dialogue
instead of offering an interactive search, causing a mental context
switch.  Searching would interrupt one's flow of thought rather than
being part of it.

> Between Windows bugs and gratuitous misfeatures (e.g. DRM) and Unix
> clunkiness, billions of dollars of potential productivity is lost
> worldwide every *month*.

You left out user refusal to learn...

If I could sum up my life in one sentence, I think it would be: He was born, he
lived, and then he kept on living, much longer than anyone had ever lived
before, getting richer and richer and glowing with a bright white light.
                                 --Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handey [1999]