Python for embedded systems with memory constraints

vishnu gkkvishnu at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 14:59:19 EDT 2007

Hello,

Using the best fit for Python will not be a problem, because Python makes
allocations of lot of small size blocks.So those split blocks of small sizes
are used by Python sometime. And what I observed from my investigation with
the memory manager(MM) for Python is , with any MM we cannot eliminate
fragmentation and even though  Python is memory hungry I cannot allot some
50MB (or more) just for python application because it will add to the
embedded system memory cost.
So now I only see the solution to clear my memory pool and restart Python
without restarting the system (i.e. no power cycle to hardware). I tried to
do this when my memory pool is 60% used in these steps:
1) Py_Finalize( )
2) Reset my Memory pool (i.e. free list links)
3) Then Restart Python by calling Py_Initialize().

But this resulted in Python  crash during Py_Initialize(), where I found
that the static variables within embedded Python source code are still
holding some of the references to my memory pool. So now my question is how
do I restart Python (i.e. reinitialize Python) without restarting whole
system. Is there a way to reset/re-initilaize those static variables such
that it will be possible to re-Initialize Python.

Vishnu