bicycle repair man help

Kathryn Van Stone kvs at acm.org
Tue Jun 26 12:17:53 EDT 2007

On Jun 23, 2007, at 2:24 PM, Rustom Mody wrote:

> Does someone know that when using bicycle repair man to refactor
> python code what exactly extract local variable means?

I don't know about bicycle repair main, but in general 'extract local
variable' means to make a change like this:

self.method_call(1, <complicated expression>)

value = <complicated expression>
self.method_call(1, value)

i.e, it takes an expression, assigns it to a variable name (which is
specified by the user) and then uses that variable name in place of
the expression.

I would expect that you need to select the expression to be
substituted for the refactoring to work.

I hope this helps,

Kathy Van Stone
kvs at acm.org