MySQL InterfaceError

Joe joe at incomps.com
Mon Jun 4 18:01:26 EDT 2007

I still consider myself a newbie, and being new to the list I request that
you take it easy on me.  ;)

We're running a RHEL LAMP server with the mod_python publisher interpreter.
The MySQLdb module seems to be giving me more problems than I had hoped for.
With a fresh restart of apache, all programs run flawlessly for an average
of 7-8 executions, but then will return an InterfaceError.  The last few
lines of the traceback are as follows:

File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/MySQLdb/cursors.py", line 147, in execute

    charset = db.character_set_name()

InterfaceError: (0, '')

This InterfaceError will continue sporadically about half of the time the
programs are run.  We are running mysql version 4.1.2 so I was assuming it
may be caused by the mysql_character_set_name() bug (as shown in the
comments here:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/mysql-character-set-name.html), but
this was ruled out when the error continued after hard coding the charset as
utf8.

As you can see, without any error description this is very hard to debug.  I
have spent several days researching this and have come up empty handed.  I
would appreciate any help anyone can give.  If this is the wrong list to
ask, please let me know and I will repost elsewhere.

Versions:

Python: 2.5.1

MySQL: 4.1.2

MySQLdb: 1.2.2