The Modernization of Emacs

Bjorn Borud borud-news at borud.no
Thu Jun 21 10:32:44 EDT 2007

[BartlebyScrivener <bscrivener42 at gmail.com>]

| http://www.debian-administration.org/polls/89

this is hardly surprising.  I use both editors.  for most sysadmin
tasks I use vi(m).  for programming i use Emacs.

in part out of old habit (most UNIX systems had vi installed) and
partly because vi(m) is faster (which makes it more suitable when you
just need to change a couple of lines in a file).

for programming I use Emacs since I have a gazillion extensions I use
while programming that I don't even think about anymore.  from various
forms of automated text completion to syntax checking/highlighting, to
enforcing style guides, look up symbol relationships, compile, debug
etc.

so if the context was system administration, I'd vote for vi as
well. if the context was programming I'd vote Emacs.

-Bjørn