Python and (n)curses

peter peter.mosley at talk21.com
Tue Jun 19 05:43:09 EDT 2007

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Why does Python have no
platform neutral commands for simple screen manipulation?  yabasic (a
'hobby' type language  - http://www.yabasic.de/) has commands clear
screen, inkey$ and putscreen$ which perform the basic functions of
clearing the screen, reading a key press and printing a string at an
arbitrary xy position in either Windows or Linux, leaving all the
messy implementation away from the user.  For me, introducing similar
commands in Python would be by far the biggest single improvement that
could be made to the language.

Yes, I know the argument that it's up to me to contribute such a
module.  But I'm afraid my knowledge and skill are way below the
threshold needed for such work.  Which is why I need it as an addition
to the core language!

Peter