Can Readlines() go to next line after a Tab

gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Jun 27 00:19:46 EDT 2007

(Please keep posting on this list)

--- tim at preservedwords.com escribió:

> Thanks, but this method still reads the whole line
> into memory. I would like to find a way for it to
> stop reading when it encounters a \t and then go to
> the next. This would be much faster.

You can't avoid reading the whole line - how can you
detect the end-of-line, unless you use fixed-length
records?

> According to my tests, readlines with a regular
> expression is actually faster than the index method
> you mentioned. Here is the code testing a 25meg file
> with thousands of lines,

Hard to believe, altough that depends on a lot of
factors.
Is the posted code all your testing code? If so, it
doesn't look right.

Write two separate functions, without side effects
each (in this case, that means using a local variable
for kwords). Let's call them f1 and f2, inside kw.py.
Use the timeit module to measure performance instead
of time.time(). Execute both functions *separately* on
two *separate* Python invocations, like this:

python -m timeit -s "from kw import f1,f2" "f1()"
python -m timeit -s "from kw import f1,f2" "f2()"

and see what happens.

--
Gabriel Genellina

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.