The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

Robert Uhl eadmund42 at NOSPAMgmail.com
Sat Jun 23 20:35:22 EDT 2007

Twisted <twisted0n3 at gmail.com> writes:

> For an example of the latter, consider opening a file. Can't remember
> the exact spelling and capitalization of the file name? Sorry, bud,
> you're SOL. Go find it in some other app and memorize the name, then
> return to emacs.

Once again I am forced to wonder if you have _ever_ actually used
emacs.  find-file has tab completion: hit tab without anything typed, and
it displays _everything_ in the directory; type a few characters to
narrow it down; hit tab to complete the filename and be done with it.

Or of course you could use directory mode, which enables you to navigate
around a directory tree, performing actions on files (including editing
them).

Then of course there's ido.el, which is even better: type a few
characters from anywhere in the name, and it displays files matching
those characters.

You've never actually run emacs, have you?

The power of Satan is as nothing before the might of the Lord, so don't
go getting any ideas.                             --I Abyssinians 20:20