The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Wed Jun 20 16:35:12 EDT 2007

Twisted <twisted0n3 at gmail.com> writes:

> On the other hand, being actively beginner-hostile leads to nobody
> adopting the tool. Then again, if you don't mind being the last
> generation that'll ever use it, then I guess you're okay with
> that. If it suits its existing users, the rest of us will just
> continue to use something else.
>
> I continue to suspect that there's an ulterior motive for making and
> keeping certain software actively beginner-hostile; a certain macho
> elitism also seen with light aircraft pilots and commented on at
> www.asktog.com (exact URL escapes me; sorry).

You are babbling.

Emacs is amazingly beginner-friendly for the power and flexibility it
provides.  You can sit a beginner at an Emacs session and have him
start editing and learning.  You can't do the same, say, with vi or a
clone: the least you need is a vi helpsheet/cheat cup.  With Emacs,
the help sheet is helpful but optional (most people would be eyed
strangely anyway if they kept a cheat barrel around at their
workplace).