Get the current date, python 2.2

nano nano at nano.ono
Fri Jun 15 17:30:36 EDT 2007

Using python 2.2 what is the simplest way to get the current date value?
I have looked in so many places. The question is often asked and the
usual response indicates how to get the current date and time like

now = time.localtime()

I want just the date, like 2007-06-15. The value will go into a
postgresql Date type column.

Also, if postgres field of this type is set to time.localtime(), is the
time portion of the date discarded, or stored 'invisibly', of will there
be an error of some type? Just thought someone here might know.