Looking for an interpreter that does not request internet access

James Alan Farrell no_spam at no_spam.com
Thu Jun 28 20:02:59 EDT 2007

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 03:50:11 -0000, John Roth <JohnRoth1 at jhrothjr.com>
wrote:

>On Jun 25, 7:07 pm, James Alan Farrell <no_spam at no_spam.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I recently installed new anti-virus software and was surprised the
>> next time I brought up IDLE, that it was accessing the internet.
>>
>> I dislike software accessing the internet without telling me about it,
>> especially because of my slow dial up connection (there is no option
>> where I live), but also because I feel it unsafe.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend an interpreter that does not access the internet
>> when it starts (or when it is running, unless I specifically write a
>> program that causes it to do so, so as a browser)?
>>
>> James Alan Farrell
>
>One of two things is going on. Either the anti-virus program you
>installed is so clueless that it doesn't understand "localhost" or the
>IP address equivalent, or IDLE (or it's subprocess) is opening the
>socket in promiscuous mode. Either one will give you that symptom.
>
>There are definitely anti-virus products that are that clueless.
>Scream at the vendor.
>
>I doubt if it's Idle, but I'm not in the mood to check the code to see
>if it's doing it right.
>
>John Roth

Thanks to all who answered.

The antivirus is McAfee, and I have found it clueless in many ways.
Unfortunately the vendor is my place of employment, and if I am to
work from home and log into their system, they require me to have it.
Otherwise I have to go to the office.

Management and IT there  might well be clueless but I am new there and
don't want to say that yet.