Looking for an interpreter that does not request internet access

Thorsten Kampe thorsten at thorstenkampe.de
Fri Jun 29 12:09:12 EDT 2007

* James Alan Farrell (Tue, 26 Jun 2007 01:07:46 GMT)
> I recently installed new anti-virus software and was surprised the
> next time I brought up IDLE, that it was accessing the internet.
>
> I dislike software accessing the internet without telling me about it,
> especially because of my slow dial up connection (there is no option
> where I live), but also because I feel it unsafe.
>
> Can anyone recommend an interpreter that does not access the internet
> when it starts (or when it is running, unless I specifically write a
> program that causes it to do so, so as a browser)?

Sorry, but this is really ridiculous. When you start Idle it
explicitly tells you

Personal firewall software may warn about the connection IDLE
makes to its subprocess using this computer's internal loopback
interface.  This connection is not visible on any external
interface and no data is sent to or received from the Internet.

You shouldn't use any kind of software (Antivirus or Personal
Firewall) if you have no idea how it's working or can't interpret the
messages they give.

If your Antivirus really told you that Idle is accessing the
"Internet" than uninstall this crap.

Thorsten