Python 2.5.1 broken os.stat module

Joe Salmeri JoeSalmeri at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 4 07:29:53 EDT 2007

Perspective is often the source of problems with communication.

You view timezones and DST as offsets from GMT.  I understand and respect
that perspective.

When I think of timezones and DST I think of the timezone setting and the
DST setting in Windows.

These settings are two separate settings in Windows that can be configured
individually and independent of each other.

When I think of a time I think of

somedate, sometime, Eastern Standard Time (EST)

    OR

somedate, sometime, Eastern Standard Time Daylight Saving Time (EST DST)

If you view things from my perspective then I would hope my comments become
more clear.

Last night I was talking to my wife about this discussion (I need to get a
life :-)) and she came up with an analogy
that I like even better than my TV analogy.

Suppose she has a baby 01/02/2007 07:00 PM.

Today, a time after DST has started for this region someone asks her when
her baby was born.

Here answer would be 01/02/2007 07:00 PM.

If we ask Windows that same question it would be 01/02/2007 08:00 PM.

Please see my other response to Martin because using your logic of "a DST
change is a timezone change" that would mean that the textual representation
of dates by Python 2.5.1 is WRONG.  I don't believe that to be true but you
cannot have it both ways, if a DST change is a timezone change then Python
should show the same dates as Windows does, if it is not the same then
Python should show the dates that it is.