Setuptools, build and install dependencies (was: eggs considered harmful)

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Thu Jun 21 20:59:56 EDT 2007

Harry George <harry.g.george at boeing.com> writes:

> Historically, python packages played well in this context.  Install
> was a simple download, untar, setup.py build/install.
>
> Eggs and with other setuptools-inspired install processes break this
> paradigm.  The tarballs are incomplete in the first place.  The builds
> sometimes wander off to the internet looking for more downloads.  The
> installs sometimes wander off to the internet looking for
> compatibility conditions.  (Or rather they try to do so and fail
> because I don't let themn through the firewall.)

If you provide the build and install script with all the dependencies
already present (in the current directory), my experience is that
setuptools does not do any network actions.

--
 \           "Self-respect: The secure feeling that no one, as yet, is |
  `\                                 suspicious."  -- Henry L. Mencken |