Installing manpage in setup.py

Thomas Jollans thomas at jollans.com
Sat Jun 16 07:17:52 EDT 2007

Papalagi Pakeha wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> how can I tell setup() in distutils' setup.py to install manual pages
> of my program? I.e. prgclient.1 to /.../man/man1 and prgdaemon.8 to
> /.../man/man8? The problem is that those /.../ directories may be
> different on every system, for instance /usr/share/man on OpenSUSE and
> /usr/man on Solaris. Is there a way to automatically put the manpages
> to their proper directories?

Looking at http://docs.python.org/dist/dist.html , it seams highly
unlikely that such a syntax exists IMHO. I myself would just install it
to share/man/man? since that is the path specified in the FHS [1].
setup.py being a python program, you could just as well check for the
existence or /use/share/man and /usr/man.

Thomas Jollans