PEP 3107 and stronger typing (note: probably a newbie question)

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Wed Jun 27 19:34:21 EDT 2007

In article <4682eddc$0$23164$426a74cc at news.free.fr>,
 Bruno Desthuilliers <bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr> wrote:

> John Nagle a écrit :
> > Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
> >
> >> Indeed - static typing is for compilers, not for programmers.
> >

> >     Actually, static typing is for detecting errors before the
> > program is run.
>
> bruno at bibi ~ $ cat toto.c
> #include <stdio.h>
> int main(void)
> {
>    char *toto = (char *)42;
>    printf("%s", toto);
>    return 0;
> }
> bruno at bibi ~ $ gcc -ototo toto.c
> bruno at bibi ~ $ ./toto
> Erreur de segmentation
> bruno at bibi ~ $
>
> You said ?

A discussion about static typing on comp.lang.python is liable
to be a little tiresome even when it isn't conducted on such a
silly level.

The GvR ideas I've seen on V3 typing show some acquaintance with
type inference etc. as used in modern functional languages.
While C++ or Java may represent static typing to Python users,
I don't think there's much risk that they will have anything to do
with static typing in V3, if it's supported in some way.

Secondly, one can reasonably argue that steel toed boots
prevent injuries to the toe, without having to prove that
they withstand a welding torch, a nuclear blast, etc.

   Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu