Python 2.5.1 broken os.stat module

Joe Salmeri JoeSalmeri at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 4 07:24:55 EDT 2007

There is a conflict with the answers that you and Terry have given.

The original issue I raised was that I Python 2.5.1 and Windows did not have
the same textual represenation for a localize date.

You have stood true to the statements that Python 2.5.1 is correct and that
previous versions were wrong.

I agree with you that Python 2.5.1 is correct which means that Windows is
showing the incorrect dates.

Since that point in time you and Terry have disagreed with my statements
regarding timezones and DST.

All dates in my below comments are the textual representation of those dates
from Windows or from Python 2.5.1

For the test file created at 01/02/2007 07:00 PM.

>From that date up until just before DST starts both Windows AND Python 2.5.1
will report that date as 01/02/2007 07:00 PM.

Once DST starts Python 2.5.1 will still report that date as 01/02/2007 07:00
PM, however Windows will now report that
date as 01/02/2007 at 08:00 PM.

I agree and believe that Python 2.5.1 is reporting the correct textual
representation of that timestamp, however, using
*your* logic that a DST change *is a timezone change* that would mean that
Python 2.5.1 is wrong and should be reporting the
date 1 hour later just as Windows is reporting.

You cannot have it both ways.

If a DST change is the same as a timezone change then Python 2.5.1 should be
reporting the dates that Windows reports.
If a DST change is NOT the same as a timezone change then Python 2.5.1
should be reporting the dates that it currently is.