problem mixing gettext and properties

André andre.roberge at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 13:52:38 EDT 2007

I've encountered a problem using gettext with properties while using a
Python interpreter.

Here's a simple program that illustrate the problem.
==============
# i18n_test.py: test of gettext & properties

import gettext

fr = gettext.translation('i18n_test', './translations',
languages=['fr'])
fr.install()

help = _("Help me!")

class Test_i18n(object):
    def get(self):
        __help = _("HELP!")
        return __help
    help_prop = property(get, None, None, 'help')

test = Test_i18n()

print help
print test.help_prop
#### end of file

To run the above program, you need to have the strings translated and
the proper ".po" and ".mo" files created.  (for those interested, I
can send the whole lot in a zip file)

If I run the program as is, the output is:
Aidez-moi!
AIDE!!!

Ok, let's try with the Python interpreter:

ActivePython 2.4.2 Build 248 (ActiveState Corp.) based on
Python 2.4.2 (#67, Oct 30 2005, 16:11:18) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]
on win32
>>> import i18n_test
Aidez-moi!
AIDE!!!

#  No surprise there so far.

>>> print i18n_test.help
Aidez-moi!
>>> print i18n_test.test.help_prop
AIDE!!!
>>> i18n_test.help
'Aidez-moi!'

# all of the above are as expected; now for the first surprise

>>> i18n_test.test.help_prop
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "i18n_test.py", line 12, in get
    __help = _("HELP!")
TypeError: 'str' object is not callable

# and a second surprise where we try to repeat something that used to
work

>>> print i18n_test.test.help_prop
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "i18n_test.py", line 12, in get
    __help = _("HELP!")
TypeError: 'str' object is not callable

Dare I say: "Help!"   I really need to use the above at the
interpreter prompt.

André