PATH or PYTHONPATH under Windows ???

stef s.mientki at id.umcn.nl
Wed Jun 6 06:09:55 EDT 2007

Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> * Stef Mientki (Tue, 05 Jun 2007 23:57:15 +0200)
>
>> after cleaning up a PC,
>>

> Uou purposely deleted things you had no clue about?!

Yes,
but you should have seen what a "professional" package like LabView /
LabWindows,
all had installed on my PC ;-)

>> Python can't find any libraries anymore.
>> But happily I've still one PC, where Python is running perfect.
>> Now I always read about the environment variable "PYTHONPATH".
>> But on neither PC there exists a "PYTHONPATH".
>>

> That's totally normal.

but why is everybody alwasy talking about the "environment variable
PYTHONPATH" ??

>> On the PC that works ok,
>> there is the standard "PATH" environment variable,
>> and indeed there are all the Python Library references.
>>

> That's not okay. At the best it's completely useless.

???

>> Please enlighten me.
>>

> Use common sense: reinstalling Python is likely the fastest way.

Yes I know,
But the point is, I want to promote Python to colleagues,
show them that it's equally well suited as MatLab,
installation of Scipy + wxPython + a few other packages is terrible
difficult.
So I can not even past the front door ;-)

Therefor I'm trying to understand the search path problem,
to make a "1-button" install (through Inno Setup),
and yesterday I was forced to try that 1-button install myself :-(

cheers,
Stef Mientki