The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

Matthias Buelow mkb at incubus.de
Wed Jun 27 12:05:38 EDT 2007

Bjorn Borud wrote:

> I was told by a lot of people I consider to be intelligent that this
> book would change how I think about writing software.  it didn't.  I
> didn't really know what to expect, but after reading it I did feel
> that its importance was greatly exaggerated.

I think it's basically a course book, for some CS courses at MIT that it
was originally used with, and that's it. It's not superb but ok, as far
as "lecture notes" go, a bit pretentious and a bit idiosyncratic,
probably due to being targeted mainly at students visiting a particular
course of lectures. I don't think it's supposed to be a general "how to
learn good programming"-style book although I don't think you've wasted
time reading it.

F'up-to: c.l.lisp.