Bug/Weak Implementation? popen* routines can't handle simultaneousread/write?

Hendrik van Rooyen mail at microcorp.co.za
Fri Jun 8 02:59:52 EDT 2007

 "dmoore" <da..e at gmail.com> wrote:

8< --------------- <description of full duplex problem> ------------

> Anybody have any thoughts on this? Do I have my story straight? (the
> popen variants can't handle this case and there are no other
> alternatives in the standard python distro) Is there some place I can
> submit this as a feature request? (Python dev?)

I think this is a hassle in the file implementation - I have had it also on
serial ports, where it acts as if the file "driver" is inherently half duplex.

It manifests as: "My characters don't come out"

I don't know if it is python or the underlying stuff.

I use fcntl to unblock and generally mess around to solve it, but
I don't think my solution is portable.

It is a real issue though - you are not imagining the dragon, it is
right at the door...

- Hendrik